It’s inevitable that as the weather gets cooler, flus and colds become more prevalent. And while they can feel hard to avoid, there are things we can do to help keep seasonal illnesses at bay, or at least to recover from them more quickly. Getting plenty of sleep, managing stress and focussing on a healthy, nutrient-rich diet are all great strategies that can really help.
In summer it’s simple to incorporate lots of fresh produce into our diets, with easy, colourful salads often leading the way. In winter however, cold salads don’t usually appeal. We lean towards warm and comforting foods like soup, which fortunately, when made with plenty of nutrient-rich vegetables, is an incredible vehicle for improving our chances against winter illness.
This Immunity Boosting Chicken and Vegetable Soup is full of flavour, so you’ll truly enjoy eating it, and, it also contains several powerhouse ingredients that deserve serious props for their immunity boosting benefits:
- leafy greens kale and bok choy (both very nutrient-rich vegetables)
- shitake mushrooms (traditionally used to boost the immune system, and are a source of vitamin D)
- sweet potato (an excellent source of vitamin C and potassium)
- turmeric (an anti-inflammatory super-power)
- garlic (may work as an antimicrobial, helping to fights off bacteria that can make you sick) and,
- ginger (known to stimulate the immune system to protect against colds and flu, and also supports digestion.)
Find the recipe below, and, if you are looking for more ways to boost your immune system this cold and flu season, check out our post here.
Best of luck fighting off those colds and flus. Eat soup!
Makes: 6-8 bowls of soup