Love a smoothie but not sure how to make one that works (and actually tastes good) for a keto diet? The key is to use moderate amounts of low carb flavourful fruits like berries, to incorporate delicious healthy fats, and to be careful about which liquid you use, watching the net carbs carefully. A cup of whole dairy milk for example has 12 grams of net carbs, way too many for one smoothie if you are sticking to a keto diet. This recipe is both refreshing and creamy, and is loaded with healthy fats and protein from collagen to keep you going until your next meal. To fit into your keto plan we've kept the net carbs to under 5 grams. If you are craving a sweeter smoothie, go ahead and add a bit of stevia or erythritol, however this smoothie tastes really good just as it is. So get out your blender and welcome smoothies back into your life.
PREP TIME: 5 min / COOK TIME: 5 min / TOTAL TIME: 10 min
- ½ small avocado
- ¼ cup frozen diced strawberries
- ¼ cup coconut cream from a BPA free can (use the thick fatty cream that sits on top- do not shake can up, this will add more carbs)
- 1 scoop Sproos wild-caught marine or grass-fed collagen
- ½ cup ice
- 1 cup water
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Optional: stevia or erythritol to taste
- In a powerful blender, add the water first, then add all the other ingredients. Putting the liquid in first will make the smoothie easier to blend.
- Blend until smooth, adjusting the optional sweetener to taste.